Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Update on the hatch

Boooooo :-(

I candled the silkie eggs last night (Day 5) and had to throw out 21(!) non-fertile eggs, I could cry! That leaves me with only five "maybe viable" eggs in the incubator, three of which I think are quitters due to possible blood rings.

So, I'll be lucky to get one, maybe two chicks IF the rest of the incubation goes well, IF the babies develop normally and IF they hatch and IF they survive the first 48 hours.

I'm sooo bummed out.

The two green eggs are still a mystery, their shell was too dark for me to see anything. With my luck they're also sterile :-/

Sooooo....

I'm going to attempt a dangerous maneuver.

I collected eggs from my two other flocks yesterday and today and will attempt to set those too, even if the current incubation is on day 6. A bit scary since I risk messing things up if any of the current eggs do hatch but I gotta do something. Hatching a lone chick would be a nightmare.

Call me crazy, cuz I am.

Oh well.

2 comments:

Anke said...

I'm so sorry you had no luck with all those eggs. Must have been so sad...
Good luck with the other eggs!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

So sorry that this happened. I know how bummed you are. ((HUGS))