Friday, April 29, 2011

It's... better?

Quick update...

We lost our beloved little Jasper yesterday to some unknown long-term illness, I'm reasonably sure he and his sister Sookie (who passed away a couple months ago) were inbred, leading to genetic weaknesses that never gave them a chance to mature into strong adults...

He was a gorgeous, slate-grey silkie and he will be terribly missed.

RIP my sweet cuddle-bug :-(

Still have some sick hens, some are learning to live with their wheezy lungs and others have good days and bad days, however everyone is now free-ranging except the silkies, who will be moved to their summer pen tomorrow if all goes well.

If chickens could smile, I'd have been blinded by shiny toothless grins today!

It's a LOT of hard work (my back, arms and fingertips are KILLING me tonight from an afternoon of securing bird netting with zip ties, LOL) but oh so well worth it.

We're all set until next winter, woo!

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so sorry to hear about Jasper.
Hope they all get better and have a fun time being free.